Many interesting news while I was away… Here you have a few of the most interesting:
Dell launches the Latitude Z600
I’ts a very slim 16″ business laptop (4.5 lb) with some innovative features:
- Wireless docking station: you can use an external monitor, keyboard and mouse without actually plugging them or a conventional docking station to the laptop, the laptop is connected to the docking station wirelessly. It is a costly upgrade (349 USD), but very convenient and innovative.
- Wireless charging: you don’t have to plug the laptop to a power outlet to charge it, you just have to put it on the charging base. It is expensive also (349 USD).
- 2 internal SSDs: so you can choose 2 256 GB SSDs inside, for a total of 512 GB of ultrafast (and very expensive) storage.
- Latitude ON: a more advanced version of older instant-on Linux-based minimal operating systems such as Splashtop, focused on business applications.
- On the negative side, RAM modules are soldered to the motherboard (so you are bound to 4 GB DDR3, but that is enough for most business users), and the videos show some keyboard flex (but the Engadget folks found it excellent).
- More information: Dell USA, Dell UK, Direct2Dell, Engadget
HP Envy 13 reviewed
The first reviews are appearing. It seems an awesome laptop, but with weak spots such as an awfull touchpad. Read them at:
Alienware M17x gets ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870 GDDR5 option
Both single and CrossFireX. In some countries the pricing is very good (cheaper than the GTX 280M but providing similar or even higher performance). Also the card can shown as a 4850 instead of 4870 but seems to be a typo. In case you are interested on this configuration, wait a bit so possible typos are fixed and some benchmarks appear.
More information: Dell USA, Dell UK, Notebook Review forums
ATI Radeon HD 5850 reviewed
It is not a laptop card and I am not going to upgrade soon (I purchased a 4670 Ultimate recently), but according to the reviews it has an excellent price/performance ratio and idle power consumption, so maybe in the future… I hate not being able to play Crysis on High Read the reviews:
Some places to buy the ATI Radeon HD 5850: