The affordable business laptop Dell Vostro 1220 is already available at the Dell US site. It’s not based on Intel CULV processors, but on Intel Core 2 Duo ones (there is a Celeron option too), so I and others were wrong. It’s priced from 799 USD and weight from 1.52 kg (3.36 lb).
According to Notebook Italia the update to the Dell Studio XPS 16 to the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 (from the current 3670) could be imminent. Their sources are not very clear, but if you are going to purchase this laptop and you need a good gaming performance, maybe it is better to wait a little.
Update: while in the web the 3670 is the only card shown (correction: IT IS available at the Dell’s site), some users at the Notebook Review forums seem to have ordered their laptops with the 4670, so you could try ordering by phone and ask for that card.
Short news: October 22th is the official launch date of Windows 7, and some computer makers such as Dell have announced its upgrade program for systems purchased short before the launch date.
Alienware has just released the renewed Area-15 M17x (Allpowerful). It’s possible that is directly available in your country (look at your local Dell site), as it is (finally!) in Spain:
This 17″ laptop has a startig price of 1999 € (1799 USD in the US, 1699 GBP in the UK) with a pretty decent configuration (excepting the monitor):
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 (P8600 in the US, upgradeable up to QX9300)
- 4 GB RAM DDR3 system memory @ 1333 MHz (1066 MHz available in the US, upgradeable up to 8 GB)
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M, 1 GB (upgradeable up to GTX 280M SLI)
- 160 GB HD @ 7200 rpm (250 GB in the US, SSD available in the US, upgradeable up to 1 TB a 7200 rpm RAID 0)
- 1440×900 screen (upgradeable up to 1920×1200)
- Regravadora de DVD de doble capa (upgradeable up to combo lector BD/regravadora DVD)
That is in addition to the usual Alienware amenities: anodized aluminium aggressive case, backlit keyboard, customization… A nice gaming laptop with a wider availability (35 countries)!
Dell launched today the Dell Latitude 2100, a 10″ netbook that is specially designed for the schools:
- Rubberized case for easier handling and increased durability
- Optional touch screen
- Remote management capability
- Mobile Computing Station: can hold up to 24 netbooks to recharge and manage them.
In Europe (at least in Spain and the UK) it seems to be available both for schools and SMBs (from 279 € +VAT and 259 GBP +VAT, respectively), but in the US at the moment it’s only in the Education Store (from 369 USD). It can be configured with either Linux or Windows.
Have a look to the review published at Laptop Magazine.
The Dell Studio 1555 with the graphics card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 is already available in Europe.
There are very few benchmarks, but it looks like the performance of the Mobility HD 4570 is close to that of the mainstream graphics cards of the prior generation (a bit lower than the Mobility HD 3650).
Pricing in Spain is similar to that of the 1537:
- 499 € base model (Intel Pentium T4200 a 2 GHz, 2 GB de RAM, 160 GB hard disk, Intel GMA 4500MHD).
- 649 € with ATI graphics (Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 a 2 GHz, 4 GB de RAM, 320 GB hard disk, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 512 MB).
- 929 € with BD player (Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 a 2,4 GHz, 4 GB de RAM, 500 GB hard disk, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 512 MB, BD player).
Dell updates: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 available for Dell Inspiron 15; Dell Vostro 1320, 1520 and 1720 launchedFriday, April 3rd, 2009
I have been busy this week and I was not able to follow the news as usual, but here you have two pieces of news concerning Dell laptops that I found interesting:
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 available for Dell Inspiron 15
Until now the Dell Inspiron 15 was only availabel with the integrated graphics card Intel GMA 4500MHD, but now you can get it with the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 with 256 MB dedicated (this upgrade costs an additional 100 USD or 60 €). According to the specs (ATI, Notebookcheck) this card should be quite faster than a HD 3450, but it is hard to tell without any benchmarks. The Dell Studio 15 is going to be upgraded soon to the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 (already available in some countries).
Dell Vostro 1320, 1520 and 1720 launched
Dell has refreshed the Vostro laptops with an updated platform (Centrino 2) and newer graphics cards: Intel GMA 4500MHD or GeForce 9300M GS in the 1320 and 1520 models, and optional GeForce 9600M GS in the 1720. In addition the new models are lighter (excepting the 1720), support up to 8 GB of DDR3 RAM and SSD hard drives and are bloatware free. At the moment they are not available in Europe, but the 1×10 models are available at lower prices. In Span the discounts expire on April 8th, so that is a suitable date for the availability of the new Vostros.